Clan Buchanan


Buchanan Castle 1990.

Clarior hinc honos
"Brighter hence the honour".

Sections

Clan Buchanan - Main Page

Clan Buchanan Background
Our Addition
Clar Innis
Ancestral Burial Grounds
Buchanan Old House
(Updated 12-Nov-2002.)
George Buchanan Monument
Buchanan Arms
(Updated 12-Nov-2002.)
Buchanan Parish Church
Other Buchanan Homes
 
Clan Buchanan Links

Clan Buchanan - Buchanan Castle Page

Buchanan Castle 1990
Buchanan Castle 1997
A Marriage at the Castle
Buchanan Castle 2002 
(New 12-Nov-2002.)

Last Update: November 12, 2002.

Buchanan Family HomePage

This material is Copyright 1997-2002 Craig Buchanan. All rights reserved. This page may be freely linked to.
Please send comments or questions to mailto: buchananc@acm.org.


Background

The Buchanan clan is thought to have origniated in 1016 A.D. when Anselan O'Kyan (or Absalon) fled Ireland. He was the son of the reigning Ulster monarch and was forced to flee Ireland by Canute the Dane. He was then employed by Malcom II (the Scottish king) to defend against Norse attacks in the west. He was awarded land (through marriage into the family of the Earl of Lennox) on the east bank of Loch Lomond. The Buchanan lands lying to the east of Loch Lomond, remained in the clan for nearly seven centuries. The lands and the Buchanan House were sold in 1682 to the 3rd Marquess of Montrose on the death of John, the 22nd laird. Despite the number of cadet branches, the clan became dispersed.

Buchanan Castle stands on that land today, although it was built and owned by the Montrose family. It is now surrounded by a golf course, Club Buchanan Castle. The clubhouse sits on the former grounds of Buchanan house.

The Buchanan clan has the one of the oldest established clan societies in Scotland, which owns the clan's most precious possession, its heartland from which it gets its warcry. This is a small island, measuring just half a mile in length, named Clar Innis or Clarinch, on Loch Lomond. It is on this island that the clan was first recorded in 1225. That was when the island was given to Sir Anselan of Absalon of Buchanan, said to be a son of Macbeth.

Top


Our Addition

The background above comes from many sources on the web, mixed with a little personal knowledge of Buchanan Castle and the surrounding lands. The links at the bottom of the page can be followed for more complete descriptions of the Clan Buchanan. Our addition to the Clan Buchanan web data is a series of pictures we took on a trip to England and Scotland in 1990. The pictures are of Buchanan Castle and the ancestral burial grounds of the Buchanans. Unfortunately we didn't take any pictures at the Buchanan Arms, a hotel decorated throughout in Buchanan Tartan.

Guest Additions

Quin McWhirter (of the Buchanan clan) has graciously donated a series of pictures he took on a recent trip to Scotland in the summer of 1997. Those pictures are contained in the sections: Clar Innis, Buchanan Castle 1997 and Buchanan Arms. The pictures in those sections are copyright 1997 Quin McWhirter. Quin maintains his own home page at http://members.aol.com/quinmarti and can be contacted at Quinmarti@aol.com.

Lauri Buchanan Cook has also graciously donated a series of pictures she took on a recent trip to Scotland in the summer of 1997. She was being married at Buchanan Castle a week before the McWhirters arrived at the Castle. Lauri's pictures are contained in the sections: A Marriage at the Castle, George Buchanan Monument and Buchanan Old House. The pictures in those sections are copyright 1997 Lauri Buchanan Cook.

Tara Banick has also graciously donated a series of pictures she took on a recent trip to Scotland in May of 2002. Tara's pictures are contained in the sections: Buchanan Old House, Buchanan Arms, and Buchanan Castle 2002. Tara maintains a Buchanan page at http://wanderlust64.tripod.com/buch.html.   Those pictures are copyright 2002 Tara Banick.

All other pictures on this page are copyright 1997 and are the property of Craig Buchanan, if you would like to display them elsewhere please contact buchananc@acm.org.

Top


Clar Innis

The isle from which the Buchanan clan warcry originated. (See Background above.) The picture was taken in the summer of 1997 by Quin McWhirter.

Clar Innis. (17K)

The pictures in this section are copyright 1997 Quin McWhirter. Used here by permission. All rights reserved. Quin can be reached at Quinmarti@aol.com, his homepage is at http://members.aol.com/quinmarti.

Top


Buchanan Burial Grounds


Ancestral Burial Grounds 1990.

While travelling in Scotland, north of Glasgow, we came across this vague reference in Frommer's "Dollarwise England and Scotland 1989", under the heading "Callander" (p. 620):

"For miles beyond the Pass of Leny, with its beautiful falls, lies Loch Lubnaig ("the crooked lake"), divided into two reaches by a rock and considered fine fishing waters. Nearby is Little Leny, the ancestral burial grounds of the Buchanans."

Given those directions it was a difficult find. Eventually we found someone in Callander who knew of a graveyard that might be it. These are the pictures we took when we eventually found it. The inscriptions on the grave markers were indeed Buchanans.

More pictures of the burial grounds: (Click on thumbnail for full size image.)

Inside the walled grounds. (37K)
Looking in one of the gates. (70K)
View of one wall. (31K)
The outside grounds. (61K)
The walled grounds from across the fields. (22K)

Top


Buchanan Old House

The Earl of Lennox granted lands to Maurice, Chief of the Buchanans, by Charter in 1225. The Buchanan Old House (or Buchanan House) and the surrounding lands were the property of the Lairds of Buchanan from 1225 to 1681. After the death of the 22nd Laird, John Buchanan, the lands and property were sold to the 3rd Marquess of Montrose. The Marquess purchased the house to replace the Montrose home which had been destroyed by fire. The Buchanan House then became the principal seat of the Montrose family.

The Buchanan House was destroyed by fire in 1852. The Montrose family was away in London for Christmas at the time. All that remained were the rear walls of the servants' quarters. The 4th Duke of Montrose then commisioned the construction of Buchanan Castle to replace Buchanan House.

The clubhouse of the Buchanan Castle Golf Club now stands on the grounds of the Buchanan House. The three remaining walls are attached to the clubhouse and are used as an outdoor courtyard. 

A picture of Buchanan Old House along with an excellent history of the Clan Buchanan appears on Becky Buchanan's website.

Lauri Buchanan Cook took these pictures in the summer of 1997.

Exterior View #1. (68K)
Exterior View #2. (76K)
Interior View #1. (45K)
Interior View #2. (58K)
Interior View #3. (58K)
Buchanan Castle Golf Clubhouse. (33K)
Remains of Buchanan House at Right.

The pictures above are copyright 1997 Lauri Buchanan Cook. Used here by permission. All rights reserved.

Tara Banick took these pictures in the summer of 2002.

Exterior View #1. (60K)
Interior View #1.
Tara's mother Jean. (74K)

The pictures above are copyright 2002 Tara Banick. Used here by permission. All rights reserved.

Top


George Buchanan Monument

The George Buchanan monument is an eighteenth century monument erected to the memory of one of the Buchanan clan's most notable members. George Buchanan was born in 1506, one of the Drummakill Buchanans. He was a 16th century poet who schooled in Paris and was renowned throughout Europe as a Latin scholar. He was a tutor to Mary Queen of Scots and latter to her son, James VI&I. His writings (in which he valued truth above political correctness) put him in trouble with the Church and the King and Queen.

The monument was built in 1788 with the foundation stone being laid by the Reverend James Graham, the parish minister in June, 1788. It is 103 feet high and is 19 feet square at the base. It is owned and maintained by the Buchanan Society, the world's oldest clan society.

The pictures in this section were taken by Lauri Buchanan Cook in the summer of 1997. Thanks to Bob Mccutcheon for passing along the monument's history.

Lauri in front of the monument. (38K)
The monument. (38K)

The pictures in this section are copyright 1997 Lauri Buchanan Cook. Used here by permission. All rights reserved.

Top


Buchanan Arms

The Buchanan Arms was an inn and farm when it was sold in 1860. The 4th Duke of Montrose purchased the property from the Buchanans of Drummakill. The Montrose family sold the property in 1931.

When we visited the Buchanan Arms in 1990 it was decorated throughout in Buchanan tartan. The decoration included Buchanan tartan carpeting. As the picture below shows, the carpeting in the upper hallway is still Buchanan tartan. 

Quin McWhirter took this picture the Buchanan Arms in the summer of 1997.

Buchanan Arms exterior. (52K)

The picture above is copyright 1997 Quin McWhirter. Used here by permission. All rights reserved. Quin can be reached at Quinmarti@aol.com, his homepage is at http://members.aol.com/quinmarti.

Tara Banick took these pictures of the Buchanan Arms in the summer of 2002.

Buchanan Arms exterior. (51K)
Buchanan Arms interior.
Tara's sister Trina in the upper hallway. (53K)

The picture above is copyright 2002 Tara Banick. Used here by permission. All rights reserved. 

 

Top


Buchanan Parish Church

A small stone church was built on Inchcailloch in the late 12th or 13th century. It was Roman Catholic from the 13th century until the reformation and was used by the people of Inchcailloch until 1670.

In 1474 the Buchanans built St. Mary’s Chapel near Buchanan Auld House. After the reformation in the 16th century the Buchanans were considerable landowners and were responsible for the upkeep of both churches. The Buchanans refused to sanction repairs to the Inchcailloch church possibly hoping it would be abandoned. It was abandoned as a parish church in 1621.

The 3rd Duke of Montrose had the Buchanan Parish Church built in 1764 to replace St. Mary’s Chapel. Stone from the original chapel was used in its construction and graves were moved to the new churchyard. The old chapel now lies in woodland.

Top


Other Buchanan Homes

A list of the castles held at one time by Buchanans appears below. The source of this list is unknown.

The Buchanans Levy lived at Leny Estate. The estate is now a bed and breakfast. A picture of Leny House can be found here.

In 1790 Ross Priory was purchased by Sir William Buchanan whose family occupied it until 1925. It now belongs to a university. Two pictures of Ross Priory can be found here.

Craigend castle and estate was owned by the Smiths, but was purchased by Sir Andrew Buchanan, ambassador to the Viennese Court. In the early 20th century it was tenanted by George Outram, newspaper  proprietor, and Sir Harold Yarrow, the Clyde shipbuilder. The Buchanans sold Craigend to the Wilsons after World War II.  Pictures of Craigend castle can be found here.

The Buchanans of Carbeth held Carbeth estate and lived in Carbeth House.

Arnprior Castle apparently no longer exists.

Buchanans still live in Bardowie Castle, which once belonged to the Hamiltons of Cardow.

A Buchanan also owned Balloch Castle, which is now a park.

(The list and the Buchanan Home sites was first posted in the Buchanan Chat Room by Marc Buchanan on 10/31/98.)

Top


Buchanan Links

Top

This material is Copyright 1997-2002 Craig Buchanan. All rights reserved. This page may be freely linked to.
Please send comments or questions to mailto: buchananc@acm.org.